— My thoughts, whenever I get around to them —
Show/Hide Navigation Bar

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Thanks, Ubuntu!


It has been over a year since I abandoned Microsoft Windows for Ubuntu Linux. It took a little getting used to at first, but I have absolutely no regrets. Anyone who has known me for more than an hour can testify to the fact that I am an official Linux evangelist. Whenever I see my "less enlightened" friends going through the daily frustration of viruses, malware, and countless Windows updates, I try to proselytize them into switching to Linux. I have a whole sermon worked up. I should probably start handing out tracts.

Ubuntu has made computing a much more enjoyable experience. Most people are amazed that it is free (as in free beer), but more importantly, Linux gives the user much more freedom to control his own computer. And if you find yourself pirating Windows software, you can gain a clear conscience by switching to the hundreds of open source applications on an open source operating system -- most of which are of equal or higher quality than their commercial counterparts.

Ubuntu has brought me countless conveniences and a lot of fun. Look what I found in my inbox:
We at Ubuntu Forums would like to wish you a happy birthday today!
Now isn't that nice?

2 comments:

Angela said...

What about the lack of hardware compatibility and absence of drivers for Linux-based flavors?

laura said...

"Thanks, Adam!"
Adam kindly installed kubuntu on my computer at the beginning of this summer, but not after I grilled him about it and my computer's safety.
Well, it's the end of the summer now and I have no regrets! I love the fact that it is free, along with all the programs for it. In addition, it is so easy to use!
I'm glad that Adam was there to introduce me to kubuntu. I love it!

Blog Archive